Chemical dewormers are a poison. A strong statement? Yes, it is. I think the idea of poisoning my horse back to health is not rational. I’m grateful that I came to my senses on this subject more than 12 years ago. Prior to that, every six weeks I was poisoning my herd of horses. Yes, I admit, I was once locked in to the wisdom of conventional thinking. I believe most of us have had that experience before upgrading our horse care philosophies.
In most cases, it takes something tragic happening after a chemical deworming. For example, maybe your dog died from ingesting your horse’s toxic manure, or your horse coliced or got laminitis. Maybe she became resistant to the very drugs designed to combat parasites—this has been a growing concern for decades and is worse now than ever. These are a few potential consequences of choosing to chemically deworm your horse.
Sorry, you have to be a member to access this content.
Already a Member?
Not a Member Yet?